Saturday 19 April 2008

The Exam Equation

dunechaser @ Flickr

Just off the back of the last post, I thought it might be useful to upload this. It's a spread sheet I nabbed off a physics student and modified to work out what you need to get in exams to get a certain classification knowing what your coursework marks are.

Basically, it takes your coursework marks and calculates that as a percentage of the unit. It then works out the number of extra unit percent you need to get up to 2.2, 2.1 and First. It then works out what this extra unit percent translates into for an exam. I am not so hot on the various cut off points for 2.2. and 2.1 are, so I added a box where you can tweak these factors.

I am pretty sure the maths in there is sound but if you see an error in the equations please do hurl abuse my way (via the comment box below or email) and I will get it changed.

If anyone knows the equation to work out overall mark then do pop it in the comments or email me. I think Level 2 is 1/3rd of the degree and Level 3 is 2/3rds, with coursework and exams in Level 3 making up 2/3rds (of the overall Level 3 2/3rds) and projects making up the remaining 1/3rd (of the overall Level 3 2/3rds). Ergh, complicated. I think that's how it works but not entirely sure.

(For those curious about the spreadsheet, I didn't get 10 in everything; I just changed all the marks to 10)

No comments: