Friday 28 March 2008

Effort scrimping

(from pesterussa @ Flickr)

In the previous post, I roughly calculated the amount of work you might like to put in to your revision. It was a lot. Too much. I made three strategies for ways in which you could cut this.

The first of these was simply to invest less time than the 10 hours I suggested in each topic. If you only give yourself, for example, five hours for each topic, you have cut your workload by 50%. Those three slaving months divide in half - something altogether more manageable.

I would say that this is a very poor strategy. For good marks you need understanding, you need detail and you need to have learnt the material. To obtain these things, you need time. Thus, time is the one thing you should not scrimp on.

That said, I don't want this ten hour thing to be set in stone. You do the work you need to do to understand the area. With me, it was probably around ten hours per topic to get to the level of understanding and detail I was happy with. For others, it may be more or it may be less. My point is simply don't sacrifice on time.

As the next posts will argue, it is better to sacrifice on topics or spread the workload.

No comments: